My train was delayed this morning- annoying right? Well yes but as I stood back watching the hoardes of people- who like me, grimace through the first hour of the day aiming only to get to our destination without any verbal abuse or shoving (only to repeat it on the way home again); I had a realisation that promises I made myself years ago, had become blurred in all this chaos.
When I first came to London, I was instantly wooed by her charm. For the first 6 months I struggled with loneliness but then made a pact with myself that I would actively seek out ways to enjoy and fully appreciate this city-- a capital of the world,which I had sacrificed so much to come to, and that's what I did. Every weekend I went somewhere new and fell completely in love not only with London but with my independence.
Five years later, I have found my soulmate, I am happily married and have someone to share all of these experiences with, but somewhere along the way, I stopped paying attention. I realised this morning that despite my best intentions, I have become one of these drones, missioning to wherever I'm going to, avoiding eye contact and conversation at all costs, and in the process completely missing out!
Well, time for a new pact. I live in one of the most vibrant and forward thinking cities in the world! I will look up from now on, enjoy the beautiful and unique sights I see everyday, and seek to make connections with people.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.